Saturday, April 17, 2010

Ask for Directions and Get Going

So today on the bus...

visual: Purple plaid lululemon jacket atop a grey pair of crops sit on the bus today. My Nike Dunks with the mismatched shoe laces tap vigorously as the bus fills way up. My purple aviators look around taking it all in today.


I sit on the bus today pondering life and its transitions. I am moving to Chicago in a week and somehow feel a pang of sadness for the LA Public Transit system. I stare at all the people rushing and packing on and wonder what I will learn today.

Some times the crowded days just teach me patience or how to zone out in the mess. But today, a beautiful thing happened, of course.

A younger gentleman was sitting across from me - nice button down, jeans, cool aviator glasses and some diamond earrings. Next to him sat an older woman looking nervous back and forth at street signs and in her purse back to the new stop request... After all the silent panicking, she finally gets up and goes to speak with the bus driver, asking for directions and travel information.

She comes back with a sense of relief and smiling. She sits down and leans over to her neighbor, nudges his shoulder - the cute guy, and informs him, "you know, some times you just have to ask to get where you are going".

He smiles and nods his head and they continue on.

I smile from behind my aviator glasses, too. She is so right!

We cannot get where we are going if we do not speak up, ask directions, and get to where we need to go! This goes for public transporation, but if you dig a little deeper - it is about life.

I secretly place this small but profound piece of advice in my transitional state of mind's backpocket. I have a funny feeling I am going to need this one.

Borrow it, if you like and get where you need to go.

20 comments:

  1. Good luck in Chicago! I love that city. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you taking the bus to Chicago? Seriously, i am going to miss you then and your adventures there in LA. Will you continue in a new bus life in that city?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always surprised by how positive and affirming your posts are -- you make me a better person each time I read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wondering, as others, if you will be carless in Chicago. Zipcar makes it easy and transportation system is pretty good. I'm wondering if our Midwestern charm will find you writing about new adventures. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do hope you'll continue to blog about your bus experiences -- in Chicago. I came to this blog late, and would hate to lose it so soon. However you travel, God speed. I think you'd be a gift to wherever you go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Party in a bus like very grateful to me that i like night party in the party bus.
    Thanks for blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck in Chicago!

    I hope to read the adventures of a CTA user -- what tempting toxic noshes are available near the transit stops, how mid-western weather means Yeti rather than Yoga, the allure of strangers on a train (or bus).

    Looking forward to reading more. . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really apprecite it. I like to party in party bus.
    Thanks for blog.
    Nashville Party Bus rental

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am traveling and training with my job for 2 more weeks. Then, I will continue to snob it up - on a plane, train, bus...even taxi (hybrid, that is!).

    Stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete
  10. AnonymousMay 13, 2010

    Very cool blog. I read your nice words on a post at www.FortunaDaily.com Are you going to ride the bus in Chicago?

    ReplyDelete
  11. AnonymousMay 13, 2010

    Here's the link: http://www.fortunadaily.com/life-its-own-self/revelations-of-a-snob-on-a-bus/#more-1064

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I am sad that you won't be blogging about riding a bus in L.A! I found your blog a while back, and have been so busy the last few months that I just haven't visited your blog. Here I am, catching up--and I learn you are moving to Chicago. I look forward to reading about your future adventures. You're quite a wonderful young woman!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love love love this! How is Chicago treating you???

    ReplyDelete
  14. i think it's funny to be considered a "snob" when you are so broke you cannot afford your car payments. "wannabe snob" is more like it, right? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's right, sometimes in airport, signs can be confusing, especially if the airport is large. Asking directions can help keep you going.

    la harbor transportation

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you don't know the answer it's better to ask than to waste your time. If I don't know the way while riding my bike I prefer to ask rather than to get lost! Most of the people I have asked are nice and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome I trully think that there´s a big opportunity for you with all these amazing stories. Hope you can retake this blog. Greetings from Mexico city. The best for you...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful stories about your bus riding adventures! Something I often "ponder" about public transportation, and something I think many others wonder about as well, is what's up with the lack of seat belts? Sure, new models are supposed to provide these, but there are far too many "older" buses that aren't required to provide seat belts. Big safety red flag!

    SafeHarness is a portable safety belt that slides down to the cushion of your seat and is secured in place, giving you the option of safety wherever you go. This product is made right here in the USA and is the first of its kind, but the makers need as much help as they can get pushing the product to market and getting it onto all of these older buses.

    If you want to help support this life-saving cause, SafeHarness is running a fundraiser on Indiegogo that is taking contributions until mid August. Hurry over and support a good cause, every little bit counts, no matter how small!

    http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/safeharness-personal-portable-seatbelts-for-coach-buses?c=home

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really I am very much appreciated here to read this blog. Thanks for sharing your great information.

    Charleston Bus Transportation

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi. I hope you still read these comments from time to time. I came across your blog via an article on Citylab that's now a couple years old. I noticed that you stopped writing the blog when you moved to Chicago. I'm a transit planner in Chicago and curious if you rode the bus regularly upon your move to Chicago (perhaps you still are) and how the experiences compare. Would love to hear from you: jeffreysangillo@gmail.com. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete