So on the bus today....
visual: LA bus. me standing at the front in the way as all the people board, phone ringing - I silence it even though I really want to answer.
What are the rules of the Los Angeles bus system? Bus etiquette or code of conduct, if you will....
1) Can I eat on the bus?
2) Can I stand the entire ride, even if there is an open seat?
3) If I am standing at the bus stop, do I have to put my hand up every time? Wouldn't they know and not just drive past?
3a) They drove past me.
4) Can I talk on my cell phone? Is that rude? Should I put my phone on vibrate? Hell, I'm not in a business meeting or an interview here! And it is a 30 minute commute (traffic pending), I could really get some work done on here.
5) Can you talk to the bus driver? Even while he is driving?
6) Is there a cool section on the bus? I still don't know the ways. Like in school when all the cool kids rode in the very back....no?
7) How often do they clean the bus seats? And, I mean the actual fabric. I think that should be on a poster somewhere, even if they are lying - put my mind, current clothing I am wearing, and bum at ease, please.
8) Are there bus police? I see METRO police cop cars - but I wonder, are they upholding the law for the bus drivers on the road? What about the law-abiding, 'going green' citizens actually ON THE BUS?
9) Why don't they post instructions? I still do not know how to transfer, or buy a day pass. Even though - when I actually do know all these things I will have transformed and morphed into the true bus-rider. Maybe I don't want those instructions - but for tourists?
10) Do people ever tip the bus driver? We do for taxi and limo drivers....
11) All I am asking for is some hand sanitizer please? At the bus stop or on the bus...anything!
12) There is some metro entertainment now with a flat screen in the front corner of the bus, can we change the channel? Give me a show I can enjoy. Virgin Airlines should do a public transportation system....
commuter: "hey, you takin' the PARTY BUS to work this week?"
other commuter: "Is there any other way! I'll sit by you, in the back right?"
OKAY! Now people would GO GREEN for that!